Wednesday 19 June 2013

Pink and Sparkly Disney Princess Tiara Cake!


This cake was made for a little girls' 5th birthday party.  I was told she loved all things Disney Princess and then given free reign with the design so it was a great opportunity to do something creative and try out a few new techniques!!

I decided to do a tiered cake with a sugar tiara on top so it was nice and tall with lots of space for decoration.  The tiara was hand cut from flower paste (gumpaste) so I made it a week in advance to give it plenty of time to dry.  I dried it around a cake tin so it would be curved and sit nicely on the top tier.  I also made the roses and bows at the same time.

The bottom tier was a rich chocolate mudcake filled and covered with white chocolate ganache and white sugarpaste.  This gave a good sturdy base for the second tier to sit on aswell as being the birthday girl's favourite.  Once iced I glued the cake onto the board using a little buttercream to hold it in place.

The second tier was vanilla sponge filled and covered in vanilla buttercream and pink sugarpaste.  While the sugarpaste was still soft I used a ruler and blunt knife to create a quilted effect.  I then used a small ball tool to make little indents at each intersection.  To stack the cake I pushed 5 plastic straws  into the centre of the base cake and cut them to the height of the cake.  As this was only a small cake the straws gave enough support (larger, heavier cakes need plastic dowels).  I then stacked the second cake on top, ensuring it was level.


To finish the tiara I rolled thin pieces of sugarpaste and coiled them around to form a heart and decorative swirls.  These were attached with edible glue.  The whole tiara was painted with gold lustre except the heart which was covered in edible glue and pink glitter.  Small pink glittery hearts were also stuck around the bottom.  Once all the paint was dry I attached the tiara to the top of the cake using more edible glue.  This stuff is fantastic for cake decorating as it dries clear unlike royal icing, a little goes a long way though it's very sticky!

Going back to the bottom tier I cut 4 large hearts from pink sugarpaste and stuck a rice paper Disney Princess image onto each before attaching them to the cake, equally spaced apart.  These are easily available from ebay and come in lots of different designs.  The bows were then attached in between each heart with small swags to connect them.  The swags are just thin rectangles folded like a concertina and pinched at each end.  Smaller pink glittery hearts, roses and some piping using royal icing, painted gold completed the bottom tier.

For the second tier I piped tiny dots into each indent and painted them with edible pearl.  I also piped larger pearls onto the tiara.  The final touch was a pretty pink ribbon around the cake board and the cake was ready for the party!

I hope to do a few more cake tutorials but will take photos of the different stages this time.  I tend to get really into what I'm doing and forget to snap any pictures until it's too late!  Decorated novelty cakes are my favourite things to do, it can be fiddly and repetitive at times but so rewarding when its all finished.  The process is very relaxing, when things go to plan that is!
xx


No comments:

Post a Comment