Tuesday 19 March 2013

Almond Macaroon Cake


This is another recipe from my absolute favourite book at the moment, Home Sweet Home by Hummingbird Bakery.  I followed the recipe exactly so I won't reprint it but I totally recommend everyone should rush out and buy this book if they haven't already!

  The only slight addition I made was to add the roses on top to use up some of the extra marzipan (and to disguise the cracked top!)  I've only ever made roses using sugarpaste before which is less sticky so these ended up very rustic looking and a bit chunky but prettied the cake up nonetheless.

This cake caught my eye as I've tried several times to make French macarons but have failed miserably every single time so far.  The almond macaroon topping on this cake has the same taste and chewy texture but is much easier and quicker to make.  Next time I think I would add some food colouring to the mixture before baking and also leave it in the tin longer to allow it to cool fully which would stop the top cracking so much.

I'm still determined to master proper macarons though so look out for them on here when I finally manage it!

No comments:

Post a Comment